We Never Walk Alone

Closing on our home, packing and unpacking, trips to home improvement stores, tackling our first DIY project, all while having full-time jobs... safe to say we've been crazy busy the past few weeks, hence my absence from the blog.

Buying a house has been an exciting thing for us, but in the midst of it all we've been thrown a curve ball. We faced another big life event last week... finding out that my dad has prostate cancer. 

We've set up a Caring Bridge site for my dad to keep our friends and family in the loop, but I wanted to share today's journal entry that I wrote. We're filled with HOPE as we face this cancer fight with my dad. The doctor believes we caught it early. Prostate cancer is treatable and very slow growing. And we know that God is in control. Thank you for your prayers, friends!
_______________________________________________________

On behalf of the whole Molleur clan, let me start by saying thank you for your support as we begin to walk this cancer journey. We're so encouraged by your love and prayers!

Mom and Dad broke the news to us just one week ago, hours after they'd spoken to the doctor. Hearing that a loved one is facing a fight against cancer is scary and overwhelming, but at the same time, we know that the Lord is good, that this wasn't a surprise to Him, and that He is ultimately in control.

The days since finding out have been filled with an odd mixture of sadness, hope, thankfulness, fear, and peace. But if I'm honest, it wasn't until yesterday (Sunday) that things really became real.

The sermon was titled "How To Be Rich," looking at the verses of 1 Timothy 6:17-19. Our pastor (Chris) painted a beautiful picture of how Christians ought to approach wealth: not being conceited, but giving sacrificially to the church and using our resources to meet the needs of those around us. Bottom line: we can't put our faith in our finances.

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share." 1 Timothy 6:17-18

Chris talked about a "hope migration" that happens when you fully put your faith in the Lord. Instead of trusting in the security that a job, money, a house, or our 5- to 10-year plan can bring, our hope should only be in God, the one who loves us and who wants to meet our every need.

He had us repeat again and again, "I will not put my hope in riches, but in Him who richly provides."

Chris loves to use personal stories to really drive a message home, and today he chose to use my dad's cancer diagnosis as an example of these Biblical truths lived out.

He talked about my dad's role as an elder in the church, and how in recent talks with my dad, he'd heard all about his excitement and plans for retirement...

"Tony and I have been talking about his plans to leave Dell and finally retire and do what he really loves, which is photography. He was excited about that becoming a reality, and then he says '
oh wait, Dell's keeping me on for a little bit longer. Not really sure what this is about but I know God must have a reason.' And then I get a call from Tony this week, late Monday night, and he says, 'hey Chris, I've got some news. I have cancer.' And that news, when you're faced with something like cancer, it makes all of the savings and retirement plans worthless. THIS is where life becomes really really really serious. Tony can't put his hope in riches, but only in He who richly provides. He's the only one that can heal. He's the life giver! And that's why we put our hope in HIM, and NOT in this life." 


Hearing my dad's cancer talked about in front of so many people was a huge reality check. I squeezed Thomas' hand the whole time, fighting tears as Chris told our church family about the diagnosis and days ahead. And as the sermon came to a close, Chris invited everyone to gather around our family to pray.

Let me tell you, I won't ever forget that morning.

So many people laid hands on my dad, asking for healing, peace and comfort. The presence of God was so real to me in the moments that followed as I let the tears spill over. And as the prayers continued, the worship band began to play "Healer" (by Kari Jobe), and I just know that this song will be an anthem for my dad's fight against cancer.

You hold my very moment
You calm my raging seas
You walk with me through fire
And heal all my disease
I trust in You, Lord I trust in You
I believe You're my healer
I believe You are all I need
Oh, I believe You're my portion
I believe You're more than enough for me
Jesus, You're all I need
Nothing is impossible for You
You hold my world in Your hands

 
Another song from the worship set that I'm choosing to cling to is Matt Redman's "Never Once." These lyrics are so rich with truth, that despite the uncertainty and scariness of cancer, or whatever life circumstance you face, that God promises to walk with us every step of the way. We will never ever walk alone, and for that we're so thankful. 


Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Every step we are breathing in Your grace
Evermore we’ll be breathing out Your praise
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
 


In closing, church family -- THANK YOU for rallying around us on Sunday morning. We're so grateful for every one of you!

So, what's next?


Mom and Dad will meet with the doctor today (Monday afternoon) to discuss treatment options, and depending on what is discussed, whether second/third opinions are sought after, etc., one of us will post a journal update to keep you in the loop.

Comments

  1. Praying peace and healing for your dad and peace for you and your family. God is good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep your dad and your family in my prayers. God is in control!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such an amazing human being. I love you lady and CANNOT wait to experience Hopespoken with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts